Thursday 14 April 2011

Thugs In My Garden


Thursday 14th April 2011

Got to grips with the Bluebells this morning, not that I have anything against our native ones, which are currently looking beautiful casting their haze of colour down in the woods. No, my bugbear is with the Spanish ones, did you know you can chop a bulb into a million pieces and it will grow into a million new bluebells? At least it does in my garden! I have left some in down under the Lilac, because I rather like the colour contrast, although the Lilac has bloomed at least two weeks early this year and they have some catching up to do. The Lilac is the other thug as mentioned above, I'm sure it didn't have any leaves out last week, now it is a dense thicket, each and every sucker a potential six foot shrub, I managed to cut a fair few down however.

Some surprise germinations today, the very first seeds I put in back in Feb have been a mixed bag. The Morning Glory romped home as the winner, closely followed by the Nasturtiums, the others never showed up at all until now. Not that it's much to get excited about ,but two Pepper plants and one Cleome having survived on a diet of neglect are very welcome nonetheless.

If you've never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom.
Terri Guillemets

0 comments:

Post a Comment